As for our team in this year’s race; we now have 63 registered riders and working hard to reach our goal of 100 riders in the Stepping Stone Hospice Cycling team. And it’s official, the first 100 riders to enter, will be kitted out in a brand-new cycling kit (jersey and pants), proudly sponsored by Absa. Just a gentle reminder when you register online at www.cyclechallenge.co.za to add Stepping Stone Hospice as a Charity Bond. Once done, to also send your details to Judy Joubert at email@example.com.
Funds raised with our 2016 race, will be directed towards our “Help us build, brick by brick” project.
“Our unit currently has 8 wards, two of which can cater for long term patients. However, we want to add on family rooms, in other words, wards which can cater for a family member to sleep over with his/her beloved one, especially in cases where the patients are very young,” Tersia Burger, CEO of Stepping Stone Hospice says.
Funds raised this year will go towards the planned 505sqm addition to our existing In-Patient Unit in New Market Park. Demand for hospice care has increased dramatically over the past few months, hence this decision.
The advantages of being part of the Stepping Stone Hospice Charity (SSH):
- To raise funds and to create awareness of the Charity
- Favorable charity starting time (between 05:45 – 09:15). These times will only be allocated after entries closed and may change. Start times vary from year to year.
Seeding is the term used to place or distribute the cyclists into their fitness (index) appropriate start time. Seeding for charities is done on a pro-rata system based on the amount that the charity raised the previous year. (We have ended 5th out of the 127 charities entered in 2015 in terms of funds raised. A charity can also have cyclists in the Mountain Bike Challenge. There is no special link for the Mountain Bike entries but the charity can still have a presence of riders (please contact Judy to add you to the Charity). All Mountain Bike Challenge cyclists will be seeded according to their personal indexes. If they want to ride together as a team they may drop down to the last start time of the cyclist group.
Cyclist fee of R2 500 (minimum) to be paid to Stepping Stone Hospice before 20 November 2016.
- Cyclists can raise funds by way of donations or being sponsored per kilometer that they ride leading up to the event and on Cycle Challenge Sunday.
- Organise a spinnathon;
- Find a celebrity or well-known personality to ride and endorse the charity.
As a Stepping Stone Hospice rider, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- A newly designed cycling kit (shirt & pants) for the first 100 registered cyclists (worth ± R2 000);
- Favourable charity start times between 05:45 – 09:15 (great advantage for Novice riders);
- Collection of goodie bags and packs on your behalf at the Dome (only for Road Racers)
- A letter stating that you are an official Stepping Stone Hospice cyclist, riding for a purpose, which you can use to get sponsorship.
By joining the team, your commitment would be:
- Enter for the Road Race on 20 November 2016 or Mountain Bike races (25/55km) on 13 November 2016 on the Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge website (www.cyclechallenge.co.za); pay your registration fee online. Closing date for entries is 30 September 2016.
- Commit to raise a minimum of R2 500 in sponsorships or donations. Full amount to be paid to Stepping Stone Hospice by 20 November 2016;
Please contact Judy Joubert, Team Leader of the Stepping Stone Hospice Charity, if you would like to be part of the team again this year…. and to invite a friend or colleague to participate. You’re also welcome to register online, www.cyclechallenge.co.za, and add Stepping Stone Hospice as a Charity Bond. We need 20 entries (registered and paid for) to register the SSH Charity. Judy will be able to add you to the Charity as well. Judy’s contact details are:
- Telephone : 072 236 9090
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org