Cycle Challenge 2017
Ride for a Purpose – Ride for Stepping Stone Hospice!
Stepping Stone Hospice is officially registered as a charity in the 2017 Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge, scheduled to take place on Sunday, 19 November 2017, and we would be delighted to welcome you as a member of our awesome cycling team! Mountain Bikers, we are talking to you too – your race is on 12 November and we would love to have you taking to the trails in aid of us!
Why ride for us?
The advantages of being part of the Stepping Stone Hospice Charity (SSH) include:
- A more favourable start time (usually between 08:30 – 09:15*). This is a big advantage for novice cyclists who don’t have a seeding** and would perhaps like to start a little earlier than the average novice.
- Help from more experienced riders. We’ve received a very kind offer from two of our more advanced cyclists to volunteer/assist novice riders to prepare them for the Cycle Challenge.
- To help raise funds and to create an awareness of our organization. SSH provides specialist palliative care to people experiencing the impact of life-limiting illness. We also assist the family/caregivers through this experience and bring solace to those grieving the death of loved one.
- A sponsored cycling kit. Issued to the first 100 cyclists who join our team and have paid in full.
Our Cycle Challenge journey so far…
From relatively small beginnings in 2014 when 44 cyclists cycled for us, we progressed to a team of 70 cyclists in 2016 – a team that raised an incredible R1 137 643.22 for Stepping Stone Hospice and secured 2nd place out of 115 charities in terms of funds raised.
How your participation can help us
The money we raise from the Cycle Challenge every year is invested in our Brick Fund, which was established to secure an extension of our services to the community. Our long-term vision is to create a Hospice Village, where we will be able to build a much bigger In-Patient Unit than our current one in New Market Park – one that will allow us to incorporate an adolescent wing to provide specialized care to children and young people who are terminally ill.
As the purpose of the race is ultimately to raise funds, each cyclist that rides for us is requested to secure a minimum sponsorship of R2 500. There are various ways of raising these funds:
- Cyclists can ask for corporate sponsorship – we are able to provide each cyclist that rides for SSH with a sponsorship letter confirming their spot on the team, as well as all the documents such a sponsor may require (i.e. an NPO Certificate and a copy of our 18A Tax Certificate).
- Cyclists can raise funds by way of donations or by being sponsored per kilometer that they ride leading up to the event and on Cycle Challenge day by their family and/or friends.
- Cyclists can organize a ‘spinathon’ event at one of their local gyms or an MTB ride to raise funds.
- Cyclists can host a fun event such as a music trivia night or something similar.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Stepping Stone Hospice team!
*These times may change.Start times are only released after entries close for charities.
**Seeding is the term used to place or distribute the cyclists into their fitness (index) appropriate start time. Seeding for charities is done on a pro-rata system based on the amount that the charity raised the previous year. Stepping Stone Hospice ended 2nd out of the 115 charities entered in 2016 in terms of funds raised.